Don’t get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with wanting more money. One could argue that the more money you have, the more opportunities you have to help people. I don’t believe that money as a concept is a vehemently bad idea. However, because of the way it is used; whether for good or bad, the resultant actions of others who possess the most amount of money, determines how we perceive it.
Money is simply a tool.
Download this ebook: Career Skills: 7 Keys To Building Your Ideal Career and learn how to create a service people will pay you handsomely for.
Money and Happiness
Validating your life on the basis of how much money you have, and continuously striving to accumulate more money may make you less happier. What started out as an innocent habit will become an obsession which in turn, causes many areas of your life to deteriorate. Especially your physical health.
- Working for 60-70+ hours a week: Focusing your energies on uninspiring work will inevitably cause your body and mind to cease normal functioning.
Contrary to popular belief however, I don’t think that it is the amount of hours you work which contributes towards a decline in health, rather it is the environment where you carry out your work that matters; coupled with poor nutrition and poor quality and/or lack of sleep.
The Problem With Man
What would you rather have: Large sums of money with poor health – Or a modest amount of money with great health? Or how about both?
Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money.
Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health.
And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present;
the result being that he does not live in the present or the future;
he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived.” – Dalai Lama[/blockquote]
If we were to analyse the above from a balanced life perspective, we would find that we are subconsciously exposing our entire being to the tails side of a coin with regards to the domino effect. Working so hard diminishes your physical health through fatigue. This will then break down your ability to think rationally in order to make sound decisions. Because you spend so much time focusing on statistics and probability, with regards to making more money – you lose time to be able to bond properly with your family, which will lead to the destruction of your family through internal discord.
Physical Health > Mental Health > Relationships…..
By this point you’ve already lost everything you had going for you in your life. The only thing you’ll truly be attached to is your money. And even with that – You’re slowly killing yourself to acquire more, which you will soon use to sort out all the addictions and health ailments that you have infused upon yourself in order to acquire the money in the first place.
The Answer: Create A Service of Value
Service of Value
- Something that benefits other people, yet at the same time doesn’t negate your health.
- Something you love to do – or could at least see yourself doing.
Engaging and Inspiring
- The amount of time you work will no longer become an issue because you’re fully engaged in inspiring work. Through this way, you will begin to find your life excelling in all the major areas of a balanced life.
Happiness Through Meaning
- Happiness Equation: Pleasure + Engagement + Meaning
- You no longer seek to satisfy your materialistic ‘needs’.
- More bothered about the problems of your target audience – always striving to create a solution.